Friday, November 14, 2008

Fun at Work

Some weeks my work is just plain strange.

I give historical tours of New Orleans. I have been doing this for sometime and it helps pay the bills. I also do a couple of ghost tours. They are the big pay with tips if you can put on a show. What a ghost tour breaks down to is telling ghost stories with up to 28 people (the legal limit) for two hours through the streets of New Orleans. When I say the streets I mean right there with drunks, crazies and madmen. Rain or not, holidays, festivals and full moons. Sometimes the drunks, crazies and madmen are on the tour.

Monday was a slow day, I had one person on the tour. (Old tour guide rule-a single person on the tour is off in the head, and they don't tip!!) This woman was nice enough but she informed me her dead husband was on the tour too. Now I want to point out that I do believe in things like that, you can't live in New Orleans and not but....I am about to spend two hours with a woman for somewhere else and I have to entertain her and her dead hubby. What made it even more interesting was that she hit on me a couple times, nothing rude but I tried to send all the "not interested" vibe I could muster. Sometimes my super powers are not up to the match. I was also uncomfortable in front of her dead husband.
The tour was OK and it ended tip free.

This week I did a history tour with a history teacher that didn't know anything about the Louisiana Purchase.

This isn't as bad as the five teachers that I took on a history tour. I stoped to show them the place William Faulkner lived while in New Orleans. Three of these teachers didn't know of him. One informed me she was a first grade teacher (though I have no clue what that had to do with anything). I mentioned that he liked to imbibe and another asked what that word meant. I worry for our youth.

I think there is a full moon this week, I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: