Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Some call it work

I will be heading out in two weeks to various parts of where ever and I can't wait. Get to hook up with some good folks and see more of the US. I love my job.

My tour job is about to end for the summer (by my own doing) and I am blessed to work for two companies that will give me work when I get back. One company will give me my exact shifts back. I guess I do a pretty good job.

I have had a few interesting tours as of late.

The one that has opened some doors for me was one that Nickolas Cage was on. The owner of the company got a call requesting me to do the tour. It seems that someone had been in St. Louis #1 checking out various tour guides and were very impressed with me. I have had two offers at other companies just because of this tour. And yes, he seems to be a good guy.

A French Quarter History tour I was doing was interrupted by some people yelling “someone, stop him”. When I looked up I saw a guy running down the street with a purse. I ran out in the street to cut him off, he ran up on the sidewalk behind a car and I trapped him as he was trying to run between a building and a car. I got him off balance, grabbed the purse and he went off running. I really wish I had gone for him and not the purse but purse was returned and the owner was happy. I will say, tips were really good on that tour.

The one that will stick with me for a while was one I did a couple days ago. A group of four were on the tour and near the end one of the guys ask if I thought it would be OK to take some of his nieces ashes and leave them in an area we had just past. I told him I felt there would be no problem and I am sure God didn't mind.

While he and his wife left the group to do this their friends told me his niece had always wanted to travel so when they went to new places they left a bit of her there. She had been 17, accepted to Stanford and Harvard and one day her parents found her dead. Suicide. No one knew why but they thought it was the stress put on her about the schools.

If you would have been next to me when I wrote the above you would know I just took a couple minutes to think about what I just wrote. Writing about her makes if feel so much more real.

My work is not serious, my life is not serious and over all it is a great trip, there are just a few solemn moments and those need to be acknowledged.

I wish I had asked them her name.

No comments: