Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ian Moulding

Ed called with the news.

After I got off the phone I just sat.
The brain turns on white noise as the shock sets in.


Two moments with Ian came to mind, I want to tell you about them. They were years ago.

The First.
I don't remember when or why we were there but we were, walking down an alley in the middle of the night in a snow storm. I am talking a mad, don't bother driving tomorrow, school closing kind of snow storm. Boston throwing its best at us.Ian and me and not another soul.

Oh, we had a bottle of something too. Needed it for the cold.

As we wander and ramble we came across a fire escape lowered to the ground. We figured that if it was down...well, ladders are for climbing. We did.

The roof was five or six stories up.

We ended up standing at the ledge and just looking out on the city. Just looking. Nothing was said. The snow muffled anything else. The bottle past back and forth but we didn't speak a word.
Silence, simple silence...and peace.

We must have sat like that for an hour or more.

That time just looking over Boston , the sky full of snow. Just looking.Maybe in some strange dimension that moment still exists.

The Second.

We were walking in a park by symphony hall. It was just getting dark. We passed by a woman that was yelling at a tree. She was really mad at the tree. As we were walked by we heard her shout at the tree “You are always asking for money”.Ian turned to me and said “I wonder if she knows something we don’t”?

He turned back and kept walking without breaking his stride.

I miss my friend.

1 comment:

Karen Moulding said...

I just saw this, Mark. Thank you for loving and remembering Ian. It helps me. We were lucky to have him! Love, Karen (Ian's sister.)
(more on Ian: www.myspace.com/ianmoulding)