Thursday, August 13, 2009

Leaving Detroit

I am leaving Detroit tomorrow. I really didn't know what to expect when I got here...so much bad news about how this city is doing, what do I find...folks who love their city as much as I love mine. So much of the city is vacant, building empty and boarded up. We took a ride through an area that was considered bad and what we saw were mansions, real mansions...some boarded up and gates on the doors. These things are beautiful. Such sadness and yet....we went thought Heidelberg street.
In the area of Heidelberg street there were many vacant lots, drugs, prostitutes and garbage. There was very little done about the crime or destruction of property in this area. Tyree Guyton, his father and wife at the time began cleaning up the area using the garbage to decorate the vacant houses and lots. As is often the case the real crime was allowed but the “destruction” of property was noted by the city officials. Though there were many awards given for this effort the improve the area the city tried both in 1991 and 1999 to destroy some of the buildings and art structures. I am sure the politics of it all can be argued on both sides but instead of trying to tell you myself I would suggest looking it up for yourself. Start with http://www.heidelberg.org/ and go from there.
I will also like to mention Kings book store...one of the greatest places I have ever been. Four floors of used books plus another building of collectibles. I must have spent 3 or 4 hours in this place. A great place and the staff was very cool.
This city had a mayor that had 250,000 gold Krugerrands on the cities plane when the city didn’t even know they had a plane, big industry ran into the ground by short sighted CEO’s. On the outside the city looks rough but the people keep the spirit of the very historical city alive.
Strange how much Detroit and New Orleans have in common both historically as well as it’s inner city issues.

These folks still love their city and keep it’s heart beat going. I am glad I came here.

No comments: